The goal of potty training a puppy is to make sure that your dog NEVER eliminates inside your house or she eliminates in a designated elimination spot inside your house.
Potty training for dogs usually runs together with crate training a puppy.
Please remember that dogs need to eliminate in the following events:
- Wake up in the morning
- After meal (breakfast, lunch and dinner)
- After playing
- After a nap
- After a walk
- Before sleep
The belows are the benefits of potty training your dogs:
- Your dog knows where to go when she needs to eliminate.
- Your house will be FREE from possibly mess created by your dog.
- You will be more happy and enjoy your time with your dog.
Different age of dogs or puppies have different timing of elimination. The younger a dog, the more often she needs to eliminate in a day.
The below is the schedule of a puppy that is aged between 8 weeks to 3 months old.
- 6:00 a.m. After the dog wakes up, bring her outside for the first potty training of the day.
- 6:30 a.m. During the breakfast, you can train her to eat inside the crate (crate training) or near the crate. So that she will associate crate as a positive environment. Then wait for 15 min, bring her outside to eliminate.
- 7:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. I recommend a 45 minutes walk with your dog. Depends on what is your arrange activity. If there is a playtime, bring her to potty area after the play.
- 12:00 p.m. Lunch time. Bring her outside to elimination spot after lunch.
- 1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. Mixture of nap and playtime. Bring her to elimination spot after each activity.
- 6:00 p.m. Dinner. Dog potty training after 15 min.
- 7:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m. One more trip to the potty area
- Midnight - Morning Young puppy would need another 2 or 3 trips of elimination during this time
- Bring your dog or puppy outside your house to the elimination spot that you selected.
- Let her smells around the area and when she smells her own odor, she will start to eliminate.
- At the same time she is smelling around, use the training command that you have selected. Eg: "Go Potty", "Potty Time", "Get Busy", "Do Your Business" and etc. ONLY select ONE!
- After she has done, praise her with "Good Girl".